Thursday, June 1, 2017

Politics killed Comedy

Tucker Carlson has a point here I mean I have to think back for decades to remember a really funny comedian.



It's pretty predictable nowadays, attack Trump run the laugh track then repeat endlessly night after night.
Plenty of comedians skewered politicians in the past and it was funny because they would find humour in their policies or personality quirks. But repeating the same old mantra of racist, fascist, narcissist ad nauseum can only go so far.

I guess it's too much to ask that we go back to a time when comedians really put an effort into making people laugh instead of making political statements.
One of the shortest comedy careers that I know of was Vaughn Meader, he had an act that depended on JFK's administration and when he was assassinated the guy faded away as far as I know.
But he was funny and not the least bit vile.



No one tried to make comedy from Kennedy's assassination because no matter who you were or your politics it would have been considered in very poor taste. I'm not so sure that is the case nowadays.
In this era comedy seems to be based on the possibility.
What's funny about that?

No comments: