Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Theft of Choice

Once again the busy body nanny staters have limited our ability to decide for ourselves.

King-Sized No More
Mars Inc., the manufacturer of Snickers, is phasing out chocolate products that exceed 250 calories per portion as part of an agreement with Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA). Founded in 2010 in conjunction with the Let’s Move! program, First Lady Michelle Obama’s government initiative aimed at shaping up the nation’s youth, PHA has a mandate to “monitor and publicly report on the progress” of partners such as Mars and, more generally, to “make the healthy choice the easy choice.”
You know, I don't eat a Snickers bar very often, and I used to be able to decide for myself just how big my craving for one was and buy accordingly.
Just like when I eat ice cream, when I want ice cream I want real cream and real chocolate with real whipped cream, that's the whole idea. To be able to occasionally indulge myself with a treat that is everything I imagine it to be.
But these choices are slowly being taken away from me....from us.
Maybe it might seem  minor, but it seems like almost everyday there is some "minor" thing government is sticking it's big nose into.
So the result of all this is that eventually the government is going to own all of our liberties, where we'll lose the abilty to decide what to eat, where to go,what we can or cannot do to eventually telling us who to vote for.

You can't have just a little freedom, it's all or nothing, and one of the worst reasons to take it away is "for your own good".
Adults can decide for themselves and their families and I for one am not ready to abdicate my ability to choose to the almighty government and their petty little minions.

November can't come soon enough.

No comments: