Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ray Kroc's Curse on America

There are times I believe I should stay off facebook because some of the stuff posted there is beyond vapid.
Every once in a while you'll read about someone condemning McDonald's over the obesity epidemic in America.
As always it starts out with the typical class warfare evil corporation crap bemoaning the profits Mickey D's makes while trying to kill it's customer base from heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer and just plain clogging arteries.

I'm old enough to remember when the McDonald's menu was:
  • Hamburger
  • Cheeseburger
  • Fries
  • Vanilla or Chocolate Shake
  • Coke
In all that time, through the 60's to now I have never seen anyone force anyone else to eat at McDonald's at gun point......not once.
When I was a kid growing up some of the things we didn't have was X-Boxes, Nintendo, hundreds of channels on cable TV or the Internet.
We had parents who would shoo us out of the house and told us to find something to do.
So we did, we played baseball and football, hide and seek, tag, shoot em up, and wrestling.
We explored the neighborhood, sometimes got in fights and then made up an hour later. When we got older we mowed lawns for money, hired ourselves out to widows and older ladies to do chores or gather empty soda bottles for the refund.
Seems we always had a little money and frankly I don't remember being bored very long.

I know, it sounds positively medieval, but I don't remember very many obese kids either.
That's why I roll my eyes every time I read about someone blaming Mickey D's because their kids are fat.
Maybe they just need to shoo them out of the house and find something to do.

No comments: